Environmental Stewardship​

SPS Commerce is a pioneer in cloud computing, helping realize more sustainable resource utilization and energy efficiencies. We aim to use our global resources wisely and support our customers with minimal impact on the environment.

Empowering Our Customers

As a leading provider of cloud-based supply chain management services across a global retail network, our solutions empower our customers to make decisions that help match supply to demand, ensuring they deliver the right product at the right time to the right place. By unlocking efficiencies in our customers’ inventorying, orders, shipments, payments and sales, our services provide environment benefits. These include:​


Reduced overproduction of goods​


Optimized use of fulfillment and distribution centers resulting in more efficient transportation of goods​


Dramatic reduction in the need for printed documentation such as purchase orders and receipts

Our hope is that by enabling our customers to make more informed decisions, SPS solutions can help reduce the environmental impacts of retail industries, at scale.

The Right Partners​​

Data Center

Partnering with Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Microsoft Azure Cloud for over 95% of our computing infrastructure allows us to maintain a notably lower carbon footprint than self-management. AWS data centers, acknowledged for 3.6 times greater energy efficiency than the U.S. enterprise median, result in nearly an 80% reduction in carbon emissions. Similarly, Microsoft’s Azure Cloud services surpass on-premise data centers up to 93%, reflecting our commitment to sustainable and efficient operations.

For more information, see Amazon’s 2019 Carbon Reduction Opportunity Report and Microsoft’s 2022 Environmental Sustainability Report.

2022 GHG Emissions Inventory

As an international software and cloud computing provider, SPS’ environmental footprint is largely tied to our energy usage in offices and data centers as well as our employees’ business travel and commuting. To better understand and mitigate these impacts, we conducted our inaugural greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions inventory in 2023 (based on 2022 data). Our analysis revealed that GHG emissions associated with our direct business activities (Scope 1 and 2) represented 22% of our overall emissions profile in 2022, while the remaining 78% of GHG emissions connected with our business were generated in our value chain (Scope 3). For more information on our results and the action we’ve taken to address our carbon footprint, click here: GHG Emissions: At a Glance